Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Cambodian Children

         For the summer, one of the places my family and I went to was Cambodia. We went there for around 6 days in  Poipet. I kind of new what to expect because of the pictures my dad brought home from the churches mission trips. But it is so much more to see it in person. Some things that stuck out during the trip would probably be when we went to the feeding program. Really cute little kids come out from their homes and come to the feeding center to play games, sing songs, and get fed. The Cambodian children are so happy when you want to play games with them! We also made bracelets with them too. Unfortunately we didn't have enough string for all of them because we used some in this other church so not all of the children got them. And there was this little girl sitting in front of me that looked teary but unlike most kids, she didn't complain or whine. She just sat there crying helping her brother make his bracelet. Eventually I gave her the one I had and her face lit up like that. We also paid back the ones without a bracelet with stickers which they also loved. A LOT. Simple joy :) Thats something our world needs more of.
          July and August are the rainy months so it would rain almost everyday. Which meant more bugs come out!! In the missionaries house there are a lot of geckos on the ceiling.I've come to appreciate them a lot more because after it rains the termites come out (in their flying form) and the geckos eat them. There are a couple of geckos that are really fat and scary. Look at your keyboard. It's half of that. Same for the width too, half of the width. One time I was going to the bathroom and saw a huge one on the wall. So I ran out even though they are completely harmless they are startling to look at. Shivers to the thought of it. But hey, at least I didn't see any snakes! I was about to say something else but I forgot. Sugar! Oh yeah! My family also got to eat... drum roll... THE EGG. It is a chicken egg that is developed between just yoke and whites and a chick. It tasted nice with the lime and pepper sauce. 
         Poipet is really hard to live in. Especially for the missionary who is in the same shirt as me (who also has a wife and two boys). A lot of the people there are having a tough time finding jobs there. To get to Poipet, you have to cross the border of Thailand. In Thailand there are several nice hotels for gambling. Okay just to make things clear, I didn't mean gambling was nice. I meant they are in fancy hotels that are nice. Gambling is BAD. Yeah, thats what I meant if you understand what I was trying to say. Anyways, the missionaries there teach the families of Poipet not to cross the border of Thailand for job opportunities in the gambling sights. Especially young girls because the gambling sights are very shady (if you know what I'm saying). So it's very hard for the people there that need money to not cross  the border. Typically, we are tempted in stuff like eating too much chocolate, telling a lie, or splurging. But all those things are to satisfied what we want and what makes us feel good. The people of Poipet have a temptation that is not for what they want, but for what they need to live. Pray for these people to not be lead into temptation. Also, to trust in the Lord that he has a special plan for each and everyone of them.
        My brother wants to use the computer right now so SEE YA!

Me explaining how to make the bracelets

No comments: